Monday, August 6, 2012
GF PIZZA TOPPED WITH FRESH MOZZARELLA, SAUTEED ONIONS & SAUSAGE & THE BEST SAUCE!
STEP 1: MAKE PIZZA DOUGH
2 cups "Cup 4 Cup" gluten free flour
1 tablespoon rapid rise instant yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 cup warm water (about 105 degrees F)
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1. In a mixer, beat flour, yeast, sugar, and salt.
2. Add the 3 tablespoons of olive oil and the water in a stream until a ball begins to form.
3. Place the ball of dough in a bowl that has been drizzled with olive oil. Turn the dough to coat it. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rise 1 hour in a warm place.
4. After the dough has risen, press into a disk and park in the fridge until ready to use-at least 45-minutes.
5. Press dough into a parchment lined pizza pan. I used one with holes on the bottom for extra crispness! Build up the sides for the crust and thin out the center. Use a fork to make tiny holes on bottom and rub olive oil all over the crust. Bake in a 425 degree preheated oven in the pan for 10 minutes on a baking stone. Remove from the pan placing the pizza directly on the stone for 5 more minutes. Remove from the oven. Add sauce (recipe below), fresh mozzarella, sauteed sausage /onions (recipe below) and some grated cheese-I used a 6 cheese mix. Return to the oven for about 10 minutes until the cheese is all melted. Top with scallions!
crust recipe adapted from bon appetit
MAKE THE SAUCE:2 28-OUNCE CANS WHOLE TOMATOES, PUREE, CRUSHED OR A COMBO OF THESE!
1 STICK BUTTER
1 LARGE ONION PEELED AND HALVED
PLACE ALL IN A LARGE POT AND BRING UP TO A SIMMER. COOK COVERED 45-60 MINS BEING SURE TO BREAK UP THE LARGE TOMATOES IF USING THEM. I ADDED SALT, TOO!!!! DISCARD ONION WHEN DONE COOKING.
MAKE THE SAUSAGE/ONIONS
Cook 1 pack of sausage in the oven at 350 for 1 hour, turning once. Remove and slice thinly. Heat evoo in a pan and add 2 sliced onions ad the sausage..sautee till well blended. Set aside to cool for pizza.