ARE YOU SITTING? YOU MIGHT WANT TO TAKE A SEAT FOR THIS RECIPE!!!! IT IS THAT GOOD!!! I THINK THIS IS THE MOST AMAZING TRIFLE EVER. AND TRUST ME, I HAVE MADE MANY TRIFLES IN MY TIME!!!! LOL
THIS TRIFLE STARTS WITH 11 CARAMEL BROWNIES FROM FAIRYTALE BROWNIES. HAVE YOU TRIED THEIR BROWNIES? THEY ARE FUDGY, MOIST, THICK AND DENSE. THE PREFECT BROWNIE FOR A TRIFLE. THESE BROWNIES STAND UP TO THE TEST OF LAYING IN A BOWL WITH FRESH WHIPPED CREAM, HOMEMADE SALTED CARAMEL AND NOT TURNING INTO MUSH.....EVEN AFTER AN OVERNIGHT PARK IN THE FRIDGE!!!!
YOU CAN VISIT FAIRYTALE BROWNIES ON THEIR WEBSITE OR ON FACEBOOK. REMEMBER TO TELL THEM I SENT YOU!
NOW ONTO THE RECIPE!!!!
1. CUT 11 CARAMEL FAIRYTALE BROWNIES INTO 16 BITE SIZE SQUARES.
2. MAKE HOMEMADE SALTED CARAMEL. THIS CAN BE MADE SEVERAL DAYS AHEAD OF TIME AND PARKED IN THE FRIDGE. THE RECIPE MAKES 2 CUPS. YOU WILL ONLY NEED 1 CUP FOR THIS RECIPE. USE THE REST ON APPLES, ICE CREAM OR JUST WITH A LARGE SPOON! MMMMMM!
SALTED CARAMEL RECIPE-
2 cups sugar
1 2/3 cups heavy cream
2 Tbsp salted butter
3/4 tsp coarse sea salt
Method to make the caramel sauce:
1. Spread the sugar in an even layer in a large metal pot, at least 6 quarts. Set over a moderate heat and cook without stirring, until the sugar near the edge just starts to liquefy.
2. Use a wooden spoon and begin stirring, encouraging the melted sugar around the edges toward the center, delicately stirring up any sugar melting on the bottom as well. The sugar will start to look pebbly as it cooks, but keep going until it is melted completely and an amber color. If you think it is cooking too fast, lower the heat and keep stirring. Be patient.
3. Continue to cook until the sugar turns deep brown. Once brown, take it off of the heat!!!!
4. Time to add the cream but here is my trick....only add a DROP at a time and stir, stir, stir. This will eliminate the seizing of your caramel and you will love me for this trick. Keep adding a drop at a time and stirring until all of the cream is mixed in. Be patient...you have a lot of cream so this will take a few minutes. Once smooth, add butter and salt. Let cool. Will store in fridge up to one month. HA! As if it will last that long...ever!!!! TOO delicious!! Use 1 cup in the trifle and save the other cup!
3. HERE IS THE RECIPE FOR THE STABILIZED WHIPPED CREAM I USED! IT WILL NOT DEFLATE LIKE REGULAR WHIPPED CREAM MIGHT.
WHIPPED CREAM FILLING:
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- 3 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 3 cups chilled heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cupS powdered sugar
- Add the cold water to a small bowl, then sprinkle the gelatin over it. Allow to sit for about 10 minutes, until it has set.
- In a small skillet, add about 1/2-inch of water, and heat over medium-high heat. Place the small bowl with the gelatin directly inside the skillet. Stir the gelatin until it is melted, about 2 minutes. Remove the bowl from the skillet.
- In the mixer, use whisk attachment and beat the heavy cream & powdered sugar. Beat on high to soft peaks. Add in the melted gelatin mixture and continue to beat until stiff peaks have formed.