Wednesday, July 24, 2013
BROCCOLI & SPINACH MEATBALL PIE!!!!
Step 1. Crust
2 cups "Cup 4 Cup" gluten free flour (or use all purpose flour if not gluten free)
1 tablespoon rapid rise instant yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 cup warm water (about 105 degrees F)
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1. In a mixer, beat flour, yeast, sugar, and salt.
2. Add the 3 tablespoons of olive oil and the water in a stream until a ball begins to form.
3. Place the ball of dough in a bowl that has been drizzled with olive oil. Turn the dough to coat it. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rise 1 hour in a warm place.
4. After the dough has risen, press into a disk and park in the fridge until ready to use-at least 45-minutes.
5. Press dough into a springform pan and build up the sides, too. I had some left over scraps because you want to keep it on the thinner side.
Step 2. Broccoli/Spinach
2 heads broccoli
5 ounces baby spinach
Chop 2 heads of broccoli and sautee in a pan with some olive oil and salt. When almost tender add in 5 ounces spinach and cook just till beginning to wilt. Place veggies in a colander and let any liquid drain out. Set aside.
Step 3. Meatballs
3/4 lbs meatloaf mix (beef/pork/veal)
1/2c-3/4c. bread crumbs (I used gluten free aleia's)
salt/pepper to taste
Heat Avocado oil in pan (or olive oil) and roll small mini meatballs. I made approx 15. Pan fry until golden and basically cooked through. (will continue to cook in oven)
Step 4-The filling
16 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
10 ounces ricotta cheese
Combine all of the above. Add sea salt or kosher salt to taste. Stir in the broccoli and spinach. Gently toss in the meatballs. Pour into the crust and bake at 375 for 45-55 minutes until golden and set. Let sit 30 mins before cutting. Serve wit marinara sauce, if desired.